Marriage certificates are legal papers issued by a government that prove that two persons have married each other. The certificate is required for certain situations – visa processing, issuing birth certificates for children, etc.
Marriage Certificate | Category of Attestation
Certificates are attested depending on their type and the government department which issued them. They include:
- Educational Documents
- Non-Educational/Personal Documents
- Commercial Documents
Marriage certificates are under non-educational documents or personal documents due to their purpose and nature.
Government Departments Involved in the Attestation of Marriage Certificates
Married couples needing attestation must submit their marriage certificates and their supporting documents to the responsible government departments:
- The government department which issued the marriage certificate
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) of the issuing country of the certificate
- The localized Embassy of the country where the attested marriage certificate needs to be submitted
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) of the country that required the attestation.
Supporting Documents Required for Marriage Certificate Attestation
- Original Marriage Certificate
- Authority Letter Requesting Marriage Certificate Attestation
- Original National Identity Cards of both Partners
- Original Passports of both Partners
- A copy of all the documents mentioned above
Process for Marriage Certificate Attestation
Here is the most commonly followed method of marriage certificate attestation;
Step # 1
The department or authority that issued the marriage certificate must be contacted for the attestation.
Step # 2
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the issuing country authenticates the certificate. The authorized officials will do the attestation by coordinating with the first authorities who attested the certificate.
Step # 3
The verified and authenticated certificate is then sent to the embassy or consulate of the country requiring the attestation.
Step # 4
After the attestation is completed from the issuing country, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country that required the attestation will attest the document. This is the final step of the attestation.
You can follow the procedure mentioned above or hire Stanford Global Attestation Services – experts on Apostille Services and Certificate Attestation Services.
For more information, please contact our team by calling our UAE hotline at +971 58 648 2331. We are also available on WhatsApp.